Sunday, February 5, 2012

Toasted Bagels with Avocado-Cilantro Spread

So this is a recipe that baffles me on how I missed it, considering I love avocado and cilantro. After having this cookbook for over 6 years, I came across it last week on the web.

It was easy enough considering we had all the ingredients in the house. I used a potato masher to mix the avocado, cream cheese and cilantro. After assembling everything, I added a tomato to my bagel, because, well I love tomatoes and bagels. I know the NI is not correct for me because the bagel I used had 240 calories despite the being Whole Wheat. Without the bagel and with my changes, I got the spread was 116 calories).

It was like guacamole on a bagel. I love guacamole. I would have again (I will have it 3 more times, as the remaining dip is in the fridge).

Toasted Bagels with Avocado-Cilantro Spread

Photo by ALB

Assemble and wrap up this easy and filling sandwich for a great portable breakfast option. Lime juice keeps the avocado mixture from discoloring.

YIELD: 4 servings (serving size: 1 bagel and 1/4 cup spread)
COURSE: Sandwiches

Ingredients
1/3 cup (3 ounces) fat-free cream cheese (I used RF)
1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
1 small ripe avocado, peeled and seeded
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
4 (2 1/4-ounce) whole-grain bagels, cut in half and toasted

Preparation
Combine the first 3 ingredients in a medium bowl; mash with a fork until smooth. Stir in juice, salt, and hot sauce. Serve spread with bagels.

Nutritional Information
Calories: 235; Fat: 5.3g; Saturated fat: 0.9g; Monounsaturated fat: 2.9g; Polyunsaturated fat: 0.9g; Protein: 10.8g; Carbohydrate: 39.7g; Fiber: 7.4g; Cholesterol: 2mg; Iron: 2.4mg; Sodium: 598mg; Calcium: 88mg

Cooking Light AUGUST 2004

No comments: