Monday, October 29, 2007

Chipotle-Cheddar Scones


I made these because I had extra chipotles from the Beef, Black Bean and Chorizo Chili.
They were simple to make...a bit sticky though.

I used 2 chipotle peppers, and a TBSP of the adobo sauce.

Chipotle-Cheddar Scones

Photo by ALB

Ingredients
2 cups all-purpose flour (about 9 ounces)
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small pieces
3/4 cup fat-free sour cream (I've used both FF and RF)
1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
1 tablespoon water
1 tablespoon minced chipotle chile, canned in adobo sauce (I used 2 chipotle peppers, and a TBSP of the adobo sauce)
1 large egg, lightly beaten
Cooking spray

Preparation
Preheat oven to 350°.
Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk. Cut in butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal (I didn't get it to look like this...I used my hands and blended best I could).

Add sour cream, cheddar cheese, 1 tablespoon water, chipotle chile, and egg; stir just until moist. Knead in bowl with lightly floured hands just until dough forms. (Mine is a sticky mess)

Divide dough in half. Shape each half into a 6-inch circle on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Cut each circle into 6 wedges; arrange wedges 1 inch apart on pan. (I use biscuit cutters, which will very the size of servings) Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until browned. Serve warm. Yield: 12 servings (serving size: 1 scone)

CALORIES 134 (30% from fat); FAT 4.5g (sat 2.6g,mono 0.9g,poly 0.3g); PROTEIN 4.3g; CHOLESTEROL 30mg; CALCIUM 125mg; SODIUM 320mg; FIBER 0.7g; IRON 1.2mg; CARBOHYDRATE 18.8g Cooking Light, NOVEMBER 2007

No comments: