Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Chicken Thighs with Marsala-Mushroom Cream Sauce Over Noodles

I attempted this meal. I used chicken breasts because they didn't have thighs at Kroghetto this week. And breasts were on sale.

I prepped the S&P, the shrooms, the garlic, thyme, and bay leaf while waiting for the tomatoes to rehydrate. I started the egg noodles the same time I started the chicken (mistake). Everything came together pretty easily, and it was a dish you could clean up as you went (I don't like things in the sink or on the counter).

I did use whipping cream, because that's what we had. The sauce didn't get creamy. Really watery, and when I moved it off the burner (eg when I was eating) the sauce disappeared.

I thought the taste was bland. I had with a spinach salad (spinach and balsamic vinegar).

Chicken Thighs with Marsala-Mushroom Cream Sauce Over Noodles


Sun-dried tomatoes, shiitake mushrooms, and Marsala wine give this sauce a rich, robust flavor. While the sun-dried tomatoes are rehydrating, prepare the rest of the ingredients.


1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes, packed without oil (about 12)
4 (6-ounce) chicken thighs, skinned
1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
1/4 teaspoon black pepper, divided
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 cups quartered button mushrooms (about 4 ounces) (my 8 oz of mushrooms came to 2 Cups)
1 1/2 cups sliced fresh shiitake mushroom caps (about 3 ounces)
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 garlic clove, minced (I used 4 cloves)
1 bay leaf
1/3 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
5 tablespoons Marsala wine, divided
3 tablespoons half-and-half (I used whipping cream because I had it in the fridge).
4 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley
2 cups hot cooked wide egg noodles (about 1 1/2 cups uncooked)

Combine boiling water and the sun-dried tomatoes in a bowl; let stand 15 minutes. Drain and chop.

Sprinkle chicken with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken, and sauté 5 minutes, turning once. Remove chicken from pan.

Reduce heat to medium-low. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon pepper, and mushrooms; sauté 2 minutes. Add thyme, garlic, and bay leaf; sauté for 30 seconds. Return chicken to pan. Add sun-dried tomatoes, broth, and 1/4 cup wine. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 25 minutes, turning chicken once.

Add 1 tablespoon wine and half-and-half, and bring to a boil. Discard bay leaf. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve over noodles.



Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 thigh, 1/4 cup sauce, and 1/2 cup noodles)

CALORIES 333 (28% from fat); FAT 10.2g (sat 2.7g,mono 4g,poly 2g); IRON 4.8mg; CHOLESTEROL 137mg; CALCIUM 63mg; CARBOHYDRATE 28.5g; SODIUM 583mg; PROTEIN 31.5g; FIBER 3.4g

Cooking Light, MAY 2001

No comments: