Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Tortilla Torta

I made this while D was running. I changed a few things. I used 2 Chicken Breasts and cut them up, sauteed them with Southwest Seasoning. I made a substitution of sour cream for the yogurt based on reviews. I wanted to use up our light cream, so hence that substitution.

Being that this was from Real Simple Magazine, it was very easy. Of course I forgot a side. Taste was really flavorful.
Photo by ALB

Update: with 2.5 Cups of Sour Cream, no heavy cream, 1 7-oz can of green chiles and my other subs, 6 servings came to 545 calories.

Tortilla Torta

From Real Simple
Serves 8
Hands-on Time: 15m
Total Time: 40m

Ingredients
1 3 1/2- to 4-pound cooked chicken (I used 2 chicken breasts)
1 16-ounce container plain yogurt (I used reduced-fat sour cream)
1 cup heavy cream (I used 1/2 to 3/4 C of light cream, but I think you can skip it all together)
1 9-ounce package corn tortillas (15 tortillas)
1 16-ounce jar tomatillo salsa (I used Herdez Salsa Verde)
2 4 1/2-ounce cans chopped chilies, drained
1 8-ounce package shredded Monterey Jack cheese (I used Jack/Colby blend)

Directions
1. Heat oven to 375° F. Lightly coat a 9-inch-square or 10-by-7-inch baking dish with vegetable cooking spray.
2. Remove the chicken meat from the bones; coarsely chop. Combine the yogurt and cream in a bowl.
3. Arrange a third of the tortillas in the baking dish and top with half the salsa, half the chicken, half the cream-yogurt mixture, 1 can of chilies, and a third of the cheese. Top with a third of the tortillas; the remaining salsa, chicken, cream-yogurt, and chilies; and a third of the cheese. Cover with the remaining tortillas and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
4. Cover dish tightly with aluminum foil and bake 15 minutes. (Don't wrap too tightly or the cheese will stick to the foil). Remove foil and bake 10 minutes more or until bubbly and the cheese is browned. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
5. If you made it from scratch: 5 hours ( I don't understand what you would make from scratch).

No comments: