Monday, May 30, 2011

Buttermilk Biscuits

So D got a ton of breakfast sausage from work, so what would go better than biscuits and gravy.  I was going to make Alton Brown's Biscuits, but at the last minute I thought about my Martha Stewart's Cookbook in my stash of cookbooks.  Opened it up and sure enough I had all the ingredients (well I had half the amount of the ingredients).  The biscuits were light and flaky and buttery.  I like these better over Alton's.


Buttermilk Biscuits

Recipe cut in half an adapted from Martha Stewart’s Baking Handbook.

Photo by ALB

Ingredients
2 cups flour
1/2 TBSP + 1/2 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1/2 t sugar
1 stick butter, unsalted and cold
1C buttermilk

Preparation
Preheat the oven to 375*

Place the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar in a a bowl and whisk.. Take the cold butter from the fridge and cut into small pieces, taking care not to let the butter get warm. Add the butter to the mixture and blend with a pastry cutter (or your hands) just until the flour starts to look coarse. You should still have large pieces of unincorporated butter.  Pour in the buttermilk. Stir gently, just until combined. Do not over mix. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and pat into a circle, about 1-inch thick. Use a biscuit cutter (2.5 inch cutter) to cut the biscuits. Place on a baking sheet and brush with extra buttermilk. Bake for 18-20 minutes, slather with more butter and enjoy. I got 9 because I used a smaller cutter.

Nutritional Info based on the 9 biscuits I got...
Calories: 203.8; Total Fat 10.7 g; Cholesterol 28.7 mg; Sodium 338.0 mg; Total Carbs 23.0 g;  Fiber 0.8 g; Protein 3.9 g

No comments: