Monday, June 13, 2011

Pulled Pork

I made this one.  Prep was very easy.  I had watched Anne Burrell make this on Food Network last week and decided I must have it. D was shocked I think, that he didn't have to fire up the grill and I was going to make it in the oven.  He ended up doing most of the watching of the meat.

We think that AB used a smaller Boston Butt. Ours was 9 pounds. After 13 hours it still was not 190.  It was 150.  So I don't know if it was that or what, but it wouldn't pull.  So we had chopped pork.
The taste was outstanding and the meat was still very tender.  We did do something different though to get the "smoky flavor."

I would have again, with a smaller Butt. 

Pulled Pork

Recipe courtesy Anne Burrell

Prep Time: 15 min
Inactive Prep Time: 30 min
Cook Time: 9 hr 0 min

Serves: 12 to 14 servings

Ingredients
Rub:
3 tablespoons pimenton (smoked Paprika, which I didn't use...used regular Paprika)
2 tablespoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons cayenne
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon celery salt
1 tablespoon dry mustard
1 (bone-in 7 to 9-pound) Boston butt, "X" patterns cut in the fat cap
1 beer (I had to use 2)
I added 1/2 TBSP of Liquid Smoke, since I didn't use smoked Paprika.


Directions

Preheat the oven to 225 degrees F.

Combine all the spices for the rub and massage it into the meat. Place the rubbed pork in a roasting pan and pour the beer (and the Liquid Smoke) into the pan. Cover it with foil and roast for 6 hours. Check it periodically just to make sure everything is going along just fine, turning it over every 2 hours.

Remove the foil and roast until the pork has reached an internal temperature of 190 degrees F, about another 3 hours. Remove it from the oven, cover it loosely with foil, and let it rest for 30 minutes.

Remove the bone from the pork, it should slide right out. Using your hands with dish gloves on, or with two forks, start to "pull" the pork into long shreds. Get rid of the fat and anything else that doesn't look delicious.

Serve the pork on burger buns with a drizzle of vinegar sauce to your liking (I used Stubbs).

No comments: