Sunday, December 4, 2011

Chewy Pizza Bread

So I made this while D was walking the dogs. It was so quick, the oven hadn't even heated all the way up.

While making it, I noticed it didn't have any flavorings besides the beer. So I added some garlic powder, oregano and Italian Seasoning. I couldn't find crushed red pepper. I didn't measure any of this. I probably should have because I'm pretty sure everything I used was less than 1/4tsp each

So the result was decent but it was a little raw tasting. Of course this didn't stop me from eating half the pan (no, not kidding!) I think there needs to be more tweaks. Like adding some garlic to the flour mixture and crushed red pepper. Or putting the basil in the dough.

I will continue to make/tweak these because we almost always have the ingredients on hand, which is certainly cheaper than Pillsbury Breadsticks.

Chewy Pizza Bread

Posted by LDHAWKE98
8 Servings (2 squares each)

Ingredients:
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 ½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
¾ cup regular or non-alcoholic beer (used Bud Light)
½ cup spaghetti sauce
1/3 cup shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese
Chopped fresh basil leaves, if desired.

Directions:
1. Heat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Spray square pan, 8x8x2 inches, with cooking spray.
3. Mix flour, baking powder and salt in medium bowl. Stir in beer just until flour is moistened. Spread dough in pan. Spread spaghetti sauce over dough. Sprinkle with cheese.
4. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
5. Sprinkle with basil. Cut into 2-inch squares. Serve warm.

NI Information per Serving:
Calories: 120; Fat: 2g; Carbs: 22g; Protein: 4g; Fiber: 1g; Cholesterol: 5mg; Sodium: 200mg

No comments: