Monday, June 4, 2012

Avocado Potato Salad

I got this recipe from a woman when I asked for recipes with cilantro.  Ironically, I made it without it (Dad and brother despise the stuff).

So I thought this would be a lot more Latino tasting.  It turned out it tasted like traditional potato salad with avocado. That said, my brother, dad, D and I loved it.  If I wanted it to taste more Latino, I would add cumin and chili powder. I think the traditional taste comes from the celery.  Like all potato salad, D said it needed more salt so he put queso fresco on his.

I made it and I appreciated the directions of how to cook the potatoes. They came out the right texture (not to mushy).  It was very easy to make.  A day later, the bacon's smokiness adds to the flavors. 

Will have again (with cilantro).

Avocado Potato Salad 

Photo by ALB

Posted by: DKLIBERT
Yield: 8 servings

This is a creamy, smokey, crunchy, and spicy version of potato salad. It like guacamole dressed potatoes. It can be made ahead. The lime juice, mayo and sour cream stops the avocado from turning brown. Adjust the jalapeno to your taste, it is on the spicy side.

Ingredients
2 pounds small red potatoes, quartered
6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
6 green onions, thinly sliced
2 celery rib, diced fine
4 medium ripe avocados, peeled and pitted, divided
1/2 cup light sour cream
4 tablespoons fat free mayonnaise (used RF)
2 teaspoon dijon mustard
3 tablespoon lime juice
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons pickled jalapeño peppers, chopped (used 1 jalapeno and 1 serrano...next time won't seed them as carefully)
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped

Directions
Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain and cool.

In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, bacon, celery, jalapeño and onions. For dressing combine two avocados, sour cream, mayonnaise, mustard, lime juice, salt and pepper. Stir and mash until well blended. Stir in cilantro.

Pour over potato mixture and toss to coat. Cube remaining avocado; gently stir into potato salad. Serve immediately.

No comments: