Sunday, August 4, 2013

Pizza Hummus

I have a lot of tahini leftover from another hummus recipe.  I also needed breakfast again.  I saw this recipe on the WeWa board from TMom.  So I decided to try it.

It was very easy.  It has a good tomato flavor. I like it.

Pizza Hummus

Photo by ALB

Prep Time:10 min
Level: Easy
Serves: 4 cups

Ingredients
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup tomato paste
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil (I used 1 TBSP of fresh, chopped)
2 to 3 cloves garlic
3 cups canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed, 1/2 cup liquid reserved
1/4 cup tahini (heaping)
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
Kosher salt

Directions
Heat the olive oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add the tomato paste, oregano and basil and cook until slightly toasted, about 2 minutes. Transfer the tomato paste mixture to a food processor. Add the garlic, chickpeas, chickpea liquid, tahini, lemon juice and 1 teaspoon salt. Puree until smooth and creamy.

Nutritional Information
Per serving (2 tablespoons): Calories 43; Fat 2 g (Saturated 0 g); Cholesterol 0 mg; Sodium 83 mg; Carbohydrate 5 g; Fiber 1 g; Protein 2 g

Recipe courtesy Food Network Magazine

No comments: