Sunday, July 13, 2014

Cheesey Chorizo Caramelized Onion Dip

I was going to make this, but then I got tired so D made it. I was glad he did because I was going to put it in the crock pot and he thought it would get too oily so he decided to follow the directions. He also thought chopped onions were strange for caramelizing so he left them sliced.  (Update: Had this recipe again.  D cooked the chorizo earlier in the day and was able to drain the oil, so he put everything in the crockpot later in the day, and it wasn't oily).

We had it for a party. I actually had to move away from the bowl so I would be able to have other foods. I just couldn't get enough of it. Judging from the bowl, other people felt the same way. There was one bite left at the end of the evening (D doubled the recipe), and I believe it was the "I don't want to be that guy who eats the last bite" bite. I ended up being that last guy.

Anyway, I would have again.

Photo by ALB
Cheesey Chorizo Caramelized Onion Dip

From FoodieCrush.com
Serving Size: 2 cups

Ingredients
2 cups onion, chopped (sliced instead of chopped)
3 tablespoons butter
1/8 teaspoon thyme
(D added in balsamic vinegar, ~1 TBSP)
6 oz chorizo sausage
8 ounce package of cream cheese (used 1/3 fat)
1/4 cup mayonnaise (used RF Hellmans)
1/3 cup mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup chopped chives or green onions
kosher salt

Instructions
Remove chorizo from casing and cook in a medium skillet over medium high heat for about 10 minutes, chopping with spoon and stirring occasionally. Set aside.

In another skillet, melt butter over medium heat and add onion. Add thyme, (balsamic vinegar), season with kosher salt and lower heat to medium-low and cook onion for about 20 minutes until onions become soft and caramelized.

In a medium sized bowl add cream cheese and mayonnaise and mix well until smooth. Add mozzarella cheese, caramelized onions, green onions and mix well. Gently fold in chorizo. Pour into a 2 cup baking dish.

Place on a baking sheet and bake at 350 degree F for 12-15 minutes or until dip is golden and bubbly. Garnish with additional green onion and serve with baguette slices or tortilla chips. (used Fritos)

No comments: