Sunday, March 8, 2015

Haluski (Fried Cabbage and Noodles)

So my grandfather was Polish, but growing up we never had Polish food. I am not sure my Dad had it growing up either, since the only thing Polish we ever had in our house were Pierogies, but never homemade. So I learn about Polish food from other people, find a recipe, show to D and we decide (for him) to make it. My friend Lisa who is Polish makes me laugh, because I mention a food, and she is like "Oh, that's a staple in our household."

So back to the recipe. This one came across in Pinterest as a "suggested post." Why? I don't know. But who cares.

So I showed D and he said ok. I told Lisa and she said it looked good, and of course she makes it a lot.

The result was really good, and lots of flavor, despite not using all the required butter.

We would have again. We had a with a Caesar Salad (I know it doesn't match, but was trying to get in another vegetable).

Haluski (Fried Cabbage and Noodles)

Adapted from A Family Feast (afamilyfeast.com)

Serves:4 servings
Prep time:10 mins
Cook time:15 mins
Total time:25 mins

Photo by ALB
Ingredients
2 ounces pancetta, diced small
6 tablespoons butter, divided (used 3TBSP)
2 cups onion, diced
1 ½ pounds green cabbage, cored and cut into bite-sized pieces
(Added 2 TBSP White Wine)
1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
6 ounces dry egg noodles, any size noodle
(Added 4 TBSP Parmesan Cheese)

Instructions
In a medium to large skillet, over medium high heat, cook pancetta in 2 tablespoons of butter until crisp. Add onions and sauté for 2 minutes. Add 2 more tablespoons butter, cabbage, salt and pepper, cover and once mixture is hot, reduce to medium and cook for ten minutes.

While cabbage mixture is cooking, cook egg noodles according to package direction and drain.

Once cabbage is tender, remove cover and add drained noodles.

Add remaining butter (forgot to do this), add white wine, and cook to bring to serving temperature.

Season with additional salt and pepper as desired. (Lots of black pepper is traditional!)

Nutritional Information (from My Fitness Pal with my changes)
Calories: 391; Total Fat: 17 g; Saturated Fat: 9 g; Monounsaturated Fat: 5 g; Polyunsaturated Fat: 2 g; Trans Fat: 0 g; Cholesterol: 91 mg; Sodium: 2104 mg; Potassium: 135 mg; Total Carbohydrate: 47 g; Dietary Fiber: 8 g; Sugars: 10 g; Protein: 13g

No comments: