Monday, October 3, 2016

Easy Homemade Ramen

When we got back from vacation in August, I came down with strep throat, and then got a cough that hurt my entire body.  I was sick for about a month, and I really wanted comfort food, which included Ramen.  When I would get sick as a child, my father always made me ramen soup.  Just the $0.25 soup, which was probably $0.10.  So that's what I wanted, except I didn't want to get a headache from the seasoning packet.

So I found a recipe and adapted it to my liking.

Easy Homemade Ramen

Photo by ALB

Adapted from Damn Delicious
Yield: 8 Servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes; Cook Time: 20 minutes; Total Time: 30 minutes

Ingredients
1 tablespoon sesame oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
5 cups chicken broth
4 ounces shiitake mushrooms
1 tablespoon soy sauce, or more, to taste
5 packages Ramen, seasoning sauce packets discarded
2 tablespoons chopped chives

Directions
Heat 1 tablespoon sesame oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add garlic and ginger, and cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.

Whisk in chicken broth, mushrooms, soy sauce and 5 cups water.

Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until mushrooms have softened, about 10 minutes. Stir in noodles until loosened and cooked through, about 2-3 minutes.

Add chives and serve immediately.

No comments: