Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Sesame Soba Noodle Salad

So Soba Noodles are something I used to make a lot when I was single.  Probably because I can't cook very well, and I basically don't cook anymore, I stopped making them once D and I started dating.  But when I see them on a menu, I get them.

Then my awesome friend Dl from A Well Fed Life made these, and posted the recipe on Thursday or Friday.  I knew D and I didn't have lunch for Sunday.  So onto the list of things to make.  Now I knew D wouldn't be satisfied with a bowl of noodles so I told him to throw some chicken breast into it.  So he did.  And thus we had it.

Our picture looked more like angel hair pasta than soba, but I swear the package said it was soba/buckwheat noodles.  So there.

We would have again.

Sesame Soba Noodle Salad

Photo by ALB

Adapted from Delane at A Well Fed Life
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
Serving Size: 6 1 Cup Servings

Ingredients
1 package soba noodles (D used 12 oz of a 1.1lb package)
2 tbsp sesame oil
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
1/4 cup noodle water (D saved the water but ended up not using it)
4 scallions, sliced thin
1 tsp crushed red pepper
1 knob ginger, grated (about an inch long piece)
3 clove garlic, grated
1 bunch cilantro, chopped
1/2 tsp Kosher salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
Added 1 cooked chicken breast

Instructions
1. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil.

2. Add the soba and cook until al dente. Drain noodles (if noodles are cooked in advance of sauce, retain 1/4 cup of the water -See step 3 and 4). In the pot,  add cold water and ice cubes. Add noodles to the ice bath, rinse well and drain.

3. While noodles are cooking, add soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, crushed red pepper, sesame oil, garlic, ginger, 1/2 the scallions, 1/4 the cilantro into a small saucepan.

4. Bring dressing ingredients to a boil.  Add 1/4 cup of noodle water (didn't do). Cook for 2 minutes.

5. In a large bowl, add noodles, scallions, salt, pepper, dressing, and cilantro. Toss until combined.

6. Garnish with sesame seeds.

7 Smart Points (my additions/subtractions at 6 servings)

No comments: