Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Jasmine Rice-Stuffed Peppers

OK, I made these last Wednesday. They took forever to make (1.5 hours). They were pretty easy to make. I thought they needed some spice (you'll notice they have none). I had 2 servings over 2 days and threw the rest away. D refused to eat them, as he abhors Stuffed Peppers. (He was working late, which is why I made them...I knew he wouldn't eat them, and I wanted to try them).

UPDATE: I realized it came across as I didn't like these. I did. I just need to add some garlic, you a spaghetti jar tomato sauce (not the tomato sauce next to the tomato paste), and not seed the jalapenos. The serving size is huge, which is why I had to throw the rest away...2 servings and I needed a change...

Jasmine Rice-Stuffed Peppers

This recipe calls for green bell peppers, but feel free to use any color you like. Jasmine rice adds fragrance to this dish, but you can substitute basmati or another long-grain rice. Remove the seeds from the jalapeño if you prefer milder flavor. Serve with salad.

4 large green bell peppers
Cooking spray
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, minced (I used 4)
1 jalapeño pepper, minced
1/2 cup uncooked jasmine rice
1 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
2 cups tomato sauce, divided1/2 cup (I used salt-free and this may have caused the bland taste)
(2 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese, divided
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (I used 1/2)
1 large egg, lightly beaten
2/3 pound ground sirloin, extra lean (I used 1 pound)
1/3 pound ground turkey breast (I didn't use)

Preheat oven to 400°. (This instruction seems pointless at this stage of the game)
Cut bell peppers in half lengthwise; discard seeds and membranes, leaving the stems intact. Place on a foil-lined jelly-roll pan, cut sides up.
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion, garlic, and jalapeño to pan; sauté 5 minutes or until onion is lightly browned. Add rice, and cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add broth; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes. Remove from heat; cool completely.
Combine rice mixture, 1 cup tomato sauce, 1/4 cup cheese, and remaining ingredients in a large bowl, stirring until blended. Spoon about 1/2 cup meat mixture into each pepper half. Spoon remaining 1 cup tomato sauce evenly over peppers. Cover and bake at 400° for 45 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup cheese; bake 3 minutes or until cheese melts.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 2 pepper halves)
CALORIES 312 (25% from fat); FAT 8.6g (sat 3.6g,mono 2.8g,poly 0.9g); IRON 4.1mg; CHOLESTEROL 115mg; CALCIUM 168mg; CARBOHYDRATE 28.6g; SODIUM 994mg; PROTEIN 33.8g; FIBER 2.6g
Cooking Light, AUGUST 2006

1 comment:

Hope said...

Alb, I made these once before and I really liked them, but I thought they could have used more tomato sauce. I'm a sauce lovin' girl.