Thursday, March 5, 2009

Tex-Mex Calzones

I made these. It took me less than an hour. I got all the way to the calzone part before I had issues. The dough was a PITA, and I kept rolling it out but it would shrink back. So they were a bit messy. Nonetheless, D and I ate them.

Substitutions: I used 12 oz ground chicken. The package said it was a pound, but when I measured it was 12 oz, and what am I going to do with 4 oz. To stay economical I used 1 green pepper instead of 1/2 green and 1/2 red. I used a 7 oz can of salsa verde. Again, what am I going to do with 2 TBSP left of salsa. I used low-fat Mexi cheese because that's what Kroger sells. I used 6 garlic cloves.

They were really good. We had with Black Bean Salad.

Tex-Mex Calzones


Toss together a black bean salad to go with these family-friendly turnovers. Combine 1 (15-ounce) can rinsed and drained black beans, 1 cup quartered cherry tomatoes, 1/2 cup chopped red onion, 1/4 cup chopped celery, 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, and 1 tablespoon olive oil in a medium bowl; toss well to coat.

8 ounces ground turkey breast (12 oz ground chicken)
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper (used 1/2 green pepper)
3/4 teaspoon ground cumin (heaping)

1/2 teaspoon chili powder (heaping)
2 garlic cloves, minced (6)
1/2 cup fat-free fire-roasted salsa verde (7 oz can of Embaza salsa verde)
1 (11-ounce) can refrigerated thin-crust pizza dough (used regular Pillsbury dough)
3/4 cup (3 ounces) preshredded Mexican blend cheese (Sargento Reduced Fat cheese)
Cooking spray
1/4 cup fat-free sour cream


1. Preheat oven to 425°.

2. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add ground turkey to pan; cook 3 minutes, stirring to crumble. Add onion and next 5 ingredients (through garlic) to pan; cook 4 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender, stirring mixture occasionally. Remove turkey mixture from heat; stir in salsa.

3. Unroll dough; divide into 4 equal portions. Roll each portion into a 6 x 4–inch rectangle. Working with one rectangle at a time, spoon about 1/2 cup turkey mixture on one side of dough. Top with 3 tablespoons cheese; fold dough over turkey mixture, and press edges together with a fork to seal. Place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Repeat procedure with remaining dough and turkey mixture. Bake at 425° for 12 minutes or until browned. Serve with sour cream.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 calzone and 1 tablespoon sour cream)

CALORIES 416 ; FAT 14.1g (sat 6.1g,mono 4.9g,poly 1.6g); CHOLESTEROL 44mg; CALCIUM 195mg; CARBOHYDRATE 46.2g; SODIUM 771mg; PROTEIN 25.7g; FIBER 2.5g; IRON 2.5mg

Cooking Light, MARCH 2009

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WOW! You have quite the recipe review collection! I'm a huge Cooking Light fan and was actually planning on making those calzones for dinner. Well, it was either them or fish tacos, but I think you've convinced me to try them!

I'll also be making the black bean salad. Hopefully my family enjoys it as much as you did.