Thursday, August 20, 2009

Herbed Greek Chicken Salad

So I made this. It took about 45 minutes at the most. I first prepped because I thought D would be making it. So I put the first 4 spices together, and then I made the sauce. Then he texted me he was on his way, and I looked at the recipe and said, "I can do this!" So I did. Pretty simple. I was surprised how much flavor was on the Chicken.

I measured the salad out, probably had a bit more cucumber, but the right amount of lettuce and tomatoes.

The result: Very easy, and very good. We each had 2 servings. D brought home pita from work (much better than grocery pita), so we each had a pita also.






Herbed Greek Chicken Salad


1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

3/4 teaspoon black pepper, divided
1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
Cooking spray
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch cubes

5 teaspoons fresh lemon juice, divided
1 cup plain fat-free yogurt

2 teaspoons tahini (sesame-seed paste)
1 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
8 cups chopped romaine lettuce
1 cup peeled chopped English cucumber (I used a regular cuke)
1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
6 pitted kalamata olives, halved
1/4 cup (1 ounce) crumbled feta cheese

Combine oregano, garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a bowl. Heat a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add chicken and spice mixture; sauté until chicken is done. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon juice; stir. Remove from pan.

Combine remaining 2 teaspoons juice, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper, yogurt, tahini, and garlic in a small bowl; stir well. Combine lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes, and olives. Place 2 1/2 cups of lettuce mixture on each of 4 plates. Top each serving with 1/2 cup chicken mixture and 1 tablespoon cheese. Drizzle each serving with 3 tablespoons yogurt mixture.

Yield: 4 servings

CALORIES 243 (29% from fat); FAT 7.7g (sat 2.3g,mono 2.9g,poly 1.6g); IRON 2.5mg; CHOLESTEROL 70mg; CALCIUM 216mg; CARBOHYDRATE 13.4g; SODIUM 578mg; PROTEIN 29.7g; FIBER 3.5g

Cooking Light, JULY 2007

No comments: