Sunday, April 4, 2010

Devilish Chorizo Chili with Hominy

This chili was so easy to make. I used 39 oz of chorizo. 2 12-oz packs and 1 15-oz pack. Also I used the kind the notes said to avoid.

Taste was really good. It was spicy, but not sweating out of your pores. Although my nose ran. I still don't know what hominy is, but I put that in too. I just noticed I didn't put in oregano.

I like this one better than last week's which I said was excellent. Last week's tasted restaurant quality, but this one had that homemade taste that makes it a bit better, imo. Of course a ton of meat could have been why too.

Devilish Chorizo Chili with Hominy

Not only is this chili easy to make ahead, it actually improves with time. If you like your chili very spicy, add an extra teaspoon of chipotle powder.

Prep and Cook Time: 50 minutes.

Notes: Prepare chili up to two days ahead. Cool, cover, and chill; reheat before serving. Buy the best-quality chorizo you can find, preferably from a butcher or Mexican market, and avoid the type of chorizo that is very soft and sold in plastic casings; it tends to break down too much in cooking. Substitute another spicy uncooked sausage if you can't find good chorizo.

Other Time: 50 minutes minutes

Yield: Makes 8 servings

2 1/2 pounds uncooked chorizo sausages in natural casing
1 pound ground lean beef
2 large onions, chopped
5 cloves garlic, minced (I used 8 tsp...I have a big jar)
2 cans (7 oz. each) diced green chiles
1/4 cup chili powder
1 teaspoon ground chipotle chiles (I used chipotle chili powder)
2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano (I forgot to put in)
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 can (28 oz.) crushed tomatoes
1 1/2 cups (12 oz.) ale or other hearty beer (I used a Belgian Pale Ale...something I had in the fridge that I didn't care to drink, but saved for something like this)
2 cans (15 oz. each) yellow hominy, drained (used white hominy)
Salt

1. Squeeze sausages from casings into a 6- to 8-qt. pan over high heat; discard casings. Add beef, onions, and garlic. Stir occasionally over high heat, breaking sausages and beef into small pieces, until meat is browned and onion is soft, about 10 minutes. Spoon off and discard fat.

2. Add green chiles, chili powder, chipotle chiles, oregano, and cumin. Cook, stirring, 1 minute.

3. Stir in tomatoes, ale, and hominy. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover, and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add salt to taste.

Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.

CALORIES 512 (54% from fat); FAT 31g (sat 11g); CHOLESTEROL 90mg; CARBOHYDRATE 32g; SODIUM 1523mg; PROTEIN 27g; FIBER 6.6g

Sunset, OCTOBER 2006

No comments: