Sunday, June 6, 2010

Lasagna-Style Baked Ziti

I made this. It was REALLY easy and very good. However, the portions were SO huge, I couldn't finish my portion. Definitely this makes 8 servings. D couldn't finish his either. I mixed ground beef and hot Italian sausage together. (Looking at the NI, I feel better that I only ate 1/2 a serving).

I wasn't sure how D was going to like it because he doesn't like lasagna, but I think it is the noodles. Because he liked it.

We had with zucchini.

Lasagna-Style Baked Ziti

Preparation Time: 20 minutes minutes
Other Time: 25 minutes minutes
Yield: Makes 4 servings (maybe if you haven't eaten in a week...more like 8 servings)

1 pound ziti
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large yellow onion, diced
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 pound lean ground beef (I used 10 oz of Hot Italian Sausage and 6 oz of 93/10 beef)
3 cloves garlic, minced (I used 1 TBSP)
1/2 cup chopped fresh oregano (optional) (I used 1TBSP dried Oregano)
1 26-ounce jar pasta sauce (I used Barilla Tomato and Basil Sauce)
1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated Parmesan

1 15-ounce container ricotta (I used Part-Skim)
1 10-ounce box frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed to remove liquid
1 cup grated mozzarella (I used part-skim)

Cook the ziti according to the package instructions.

Heat oven to 400° F.

In a large pot, over medium-low heat, heat the oil. Add the onion, salt, and pepper. Cover and cook until the onion is softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the beef, increase heat to medium-high, and cook until no trace of pink remains, 5 to 8 minutes. Drain any remaining liquid. Add the garlic and oregano (if using) and cook for 2 minutes. Add the pasta sauce and heat for 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Add the cooked pasta and toss to coat. Add the Parmesan, ricotta, and spinach and toss again. Spread the mixture into a 9-by-13-inch baking dish or individual ramekins and sprinkle with the mozzarella. Bake until the mozzarella melts, about 15 minutes.

Tip: If you prefer, substitute Italian sausage for the ground beef and chopped broccoli for the spinach.

To Freeze: Assemble (but do not bake) the casserole. Cover tightly with two layers of aluminum foil. Store for up to 3 months.

To Reheat: Thaw overnight in the refrigerator or thaw partially in the microwave. Cover and heat in a 350° F oven for 1 hour. Uncover and heat until the mozzarella melts, about 10 minutes more.


CALORIES 1165.23 (36% from fat); FAT 46.43g (sat 21.31g); CHOLESTEROL 176.15mg; CALCIUM 672.94mg; CARBOHYDRATE 117.18g; SODIUM 1628.12mg; PROTEIN 70.1mg; FIBER 7.12g; IRON 9.95mg

Real Simple, NOVEMBER 2005

From Sparkpeople, with my substitutions and 8 servings,
Calories: 515.2, Fat 19.5g; Cholesterol 59.2 mg; Sodium 938. mg; Protein 30.0g; Carbs 57.6g; Fiber 4.7 g

No comments: