Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Cheesy Chicken Enchilada Soup

So D and I got back from Los Cabos this week (well he got back last Thursday and I got back Saturday...one day we'll have compatible work schedules).  Being that I spent a week eating Mexican food, I thought we should have Tortilla Soup for Christmas Eve Dinner (or chili).  D thought so too.  But then I saw I had pinned this to my Pinterest page.  I showed him and he said ok. It is from the Blog, I wash You dry.

It is supposedly a take on Chili's Enchilada Soup.  I think I went to Chili's in 2004.  So I couldn't tell you, since I can barely remember what happened yesterday.

It's very delicious.  A tinge of heat but nothing to make you get up and get a glass of milk.  I would have again.

Cheesy Chicken Enchilada Soup

Photo by ALB

Yield: makes 12 1-Cup Servings
Recipe slightly adapted from Just a Pinch

Ingredients
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups onion, diced
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 cup Masa Harina (found in the Mexican isle of your grocery store)-- Used Corn Meal
8 cups chicken broth
1 cup of canned crushed tomatoes
1 (15oz) can RED enchilada sauce (used 19oz can)
8oz Velveeta cheese, cubed (used 2% Velveeta)
3 cups chicken, shredded (I buy a rotisserie chicken from the deli and pull the chicken off the bones)

Toppings
Tortilla strips (we used Tostitos because we had them for another recipe)
Sour cream

Instructions
Heat a LARGE (12 quart preferably) pot over medium high heat and add the vegetable oil. Once hot, add the onions and spices and saute until onions are soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.

In a separate bowl combine the Masa harina with 4 cups of chicken broth and whisk until combined. Pour mixture into the large pot, and stir constantly, cooking, for 2-3 minutes. Mixture will become thick.

Pour in the remaining chicken broth, enchilada sauce and crushed tomatoes, stir and bring to a boil.

Add the cubed Velveeta cheese, and stir until melted. Stir in the shredded chicken.

Serve topped with sour cream and tortilla strips. Enjoy!

Nutrition Facts
(from My Fitness Pal, excluding Sour Cream and Tortilla Strips)
Calories: 219; Total Fat: 8 g; Saturated Fat: 2 g; Monounsaturated Fat: 3 g; Polyunsaturated Fat: 2 g; Trans Fat: 0 g; Cholesterol: 40 mg; Sodium: 866 mg; Potassium: 187 mg; Total Carbohydrate: 19 g; Dietary Fiber: 1 g; Sugars: 4 g; Protein: 16 g

No comments: