Sunday, February 2, 2014

Oven Fried Pickles

I got this from my friend L's Pinterest Page.  I have been having a pickle craving, and can't seem to get enough of them (no, not for that reason).  Anyway, everyone at work has been teasing me, I've been "sneaking" them out of the fridge, so when this recipe came across, I said, "Yes, please!"

I made this, if you believe that.  It was a little hard to do.  And I had to replace the panko part way through, so maybe next time, I will not put all the breading in the bowl at once.

They were really good.  I added Sriracha to the Ranch dressing because there is a restaurant near my work that does that, and I usually want to lick the bowl (but I refrain).

Anyway it was terrific. And I would have again.

Update: I figured out the NI, using a 32 oz jar of pickles.  I previously said that I used a partially eaten jar of pickles but it was over half.  I also had weighed the pickles without the juice and it was 15 oz.  So if you see a 32 oz jar has 18 oz of pickles.  So the calories are probably mostly right, but sodium may be lower.  Also I didn't measure panko and cheese that closely.  But I had some left over.  Same with the egg.  So I'd say the calories are in the 250-300 range.

Oven Fried Pickles

Adapted from Foodell.com
Serves 4 as an appetizer

Ingredients
1 16-ounce jar sliced pickles, about 1/4-inch thick (I used a partially used 32-oz jar of dill pickles)
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
Photo by ALB
Add 3/4 tsp salt into the flour
2 eggs (I ended up using 3 but the last egg wasn't used all up and I used it later (didn't add at the beginning)
2 tablespoons milk (I used 3 TBSP but used the last TBSP with the last egg later)
1 cup panko (Japanese style breadcrumbs) (put in half and then add half later)
1/2 cup finely grated cheddar cheese (put in half and then add half later)
Ranch dip for serving (optional)
Sriracha (optional)

Instructions
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.

2. Have ready three medium bowls. In the first, place the flour. In the second, add the egg and milk and whisk with a fork to break up the yolk. In the third bowl combine the panko and grated cheese.

3. Spray or brush canola or vegetable oil on a large baking sheet.

4. Remove the pickle slices from the jar and place on paper towels; pat dry.

5. Drop one pickle slice into the flour, turn a couple of times to coat, and shake off any excess. Next, dip the pickle in the egg/milk mixture, allowing extra liquid to drip off. Finally, drop the pickle in the panko mixture and turn a couple of times to ensure an even coating on all sides. Place the breaded pickle slice on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining pickle slices, placing them close together on the baking sheet but not touching. (Use two pans if necessary.)

6. Sprinkle a little kosher salt on the top side of each pickle slice.

7. Bake the prepared pickles for 7 to 10 minutes, or until the coating turns golden. If you like, turn the oven to broil for the last minute or two of cooking to achieve an extra-crisp coating.

8. Allow the pickles to cool for a few minutes and then serve while still warm with Ranch dip mixed with Sriracha, if you like.

Nutritional Information (Ranch and Sriracha not included)
Calories: 273; Carbs: 40; Fat: 11; Protein: 16; Sodium: 2428; Fiber: 2

Ingredients used to calculate NI
Vlasic - Hamburger Dill Chips Pickles (Ovals) 32 oz Jar, 1 container (18 oz (28g/about 2 1/2 slices) ea.): 90 Calories
Baker's Corner (Aldi - All Purpose Flour, 3/4 cup 31g: 300 Calories
My Salt - Morton's Iodized Salt, 3/4 tsp (1.5g): 0 Calories
Kroger - Extra Large Egg, 3 egg: 240 Calories
Kroger - 2 % Reduced Fat Milk, 1.5 oz (236mL): 23 Calories
Kikkoman - Panko Japanese Style Bread Crumbs, 1 Cup (30g): 220 Calories
Kroger - Sharp Cheddar Shredded Cheese (Correct), 1/2 cup: 220 Calories

No comments: