Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Thai Peanut Chicken and Ramen Noodle Soup

So when I was in high school, I got strep throat and somehow go hooked on Ramen. Of course, we always had it in the house, but I mean I got addicted to it. I ate it every day for 3 months straight. I'm not really sure why I stopped. Probably the pesky migraines.

Anyway I still love the noodles. So I saw this recipe for Fancy Ramen and decided I should have it. D has been stressed at work so I decided I would help and cook. I could make this.

I started making it until I cut my finger, and then D cooked the rest. I really liked it but the broth was soaked up. So more like a noodle bowl than soup. D thought it was a little sweet but really that might be because I bought roasted red chile paste (I guess Snowjam 2014 Part 2 wiped the curry paste away).

Would have again.
Half-baked Harvest also has a crock-pot version on her site.

Thai Peanut Chicken and Ramen Noodle Soup

Photo by ALB

Adapted from Half-Baked Harvest
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes

Serving Size: 6

Ingredients
2 tablespoons peanut oil (used vegetable oil)
1 pound chicken thighs or breast or a mix, sliced
1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated (D never measures, so I'm sure it was closer to 1 TBSP)
4 cloves garlic, minced or grated
1 sweet potato, chopped (skin removed)
2 red peppers, thinly sliced (used 1 green 1 red)
12 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
1/4 cup thai red curry paste
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
4 cups low-sodium chicken broth (next time using 6)
1/4 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons fish sauce
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter (used crunchy)
1 lime, juiced
2 tablespoons brown sugar
4 packages Ramen noodle soup, seasoning packets discarded
chopped peanuts, for serving (didn't use)
chopped cilantro, for serving

Instructions
Heat a large pot over medium high heat. Add 1 tablespoon peanut oil and the chicken. Brown the chicken, stirring once or twice for about 10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Carefully remove the chicken from the pot.

Add another tablespoon of peanut oil, the garlic, the ginger, sweet potato and peppers. Cover and cook 8-10 minutes or until the sweet potato is tender. Add the mushroom and cook 5 more minutes. Add in the curry paste and smoked paprika, stirring until the curry paste has coated the veggies.

In the meantime, add 1 cup of chicken broth to a heat safe bowl and microwave on high for 1 minute or until very hot. Carefully stir in the peanut butter until completely smooth.

Add the chicken back into the pot along with the coconut milk, remaining chicken broth, soy sauce, fish sauce, peanut butter mixture, lime juice and brown sugar. Stir until the peanut butter has been fully incorporated into the soup. Bring the soup to a boil and then add the ramen noodles and cook for 3-4 minutes (if using regular noodles you will need to cook the noodle for a longer period of time, probably about 8 minutes).

Once the noodles are ready serve soup immediately and garnish with fresh chopped cilantro and peanuts.

Tieghan from Half-Baked Harvest says: *The ramen noodles soak up a lot of the broth if not eaten right when the noodles are done cooking. You can prepare this ahead of time, just make sure to add the noodle right before you are ready to eat.

No comments: