Monday, June 15, 2015

CHORIZO AND JALAPEÑO BREAKFAST PIZZA

Homesick Texan returned to the blogging world and it made me happy.

She posted this recipe, and I wondered how soon I could have it. When I figured out the calories, I went, "Not very soon."  Then I decided that if I made it after I ran, I could do it (and follow a good diet for the rest of the day).

Well I got the run done, and made the pizza and then the rest of the day didn't go as planned and I didn't eat so well. But hell, I made this pizza and it was wonderful!

There were a few things I changed.  First who makes biscuits without buttermilk?  I don't (I learned to make biscuits from Alton Brown and Martha Stewart).  It also probably had something to do with there was buttermilk in the fridge, and there is rarely every a dairy liquid in the fridge so that's what I was going to use.  Second, even after 23 years in GA, and D working in the restaurant industry,  I don't own a cast iron skillet.  So I used a cake pan.  We discussed using a pie plate, a springform pan and the cake pan. I'm not sure why I decided on the cake pan, but I did.

I would make again. D would probably make it too.

CHORIZO AND JALAPEÑO BREAKFAST PIZZA

Yield: 4 (caloric) servings
From Lisa Fain, Homesick Texan

Photo by ALB
Ingredients for the crust:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
4 tablespoons cold butter
6 tablespoons half and half or whole milk (use ff buttermilk)

Ingredients for the pizza:
2 ounces Mexican chorizo, removed from its casing (used 2.667 oz (1 of 6 links in the 16oz package)
4 large eggs
2 tablespoons half and half or whole milk (used ff half and half)
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
Pinch kosher salt
1 jalapeño, seeded, stemmed, and diced
1/4 small red onion, finely diced
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
Cilantro leaves, for garnishing
Pico de gallo, for serving
Avocado slices, for serving
Crumbled Cotija or feta cheese, for serving (didn't use)

Instructions:
Heat the oven to 425°F and lightly grease a 9-inch round griddle, skillet, or baking sheet.

To make the crust, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Cut the cold butter into cubes and then add to the flour. Working quickly with your hands or a pastry cutter, work the butter into the dough until the dough is crumbly. Pour in the half and half and stir until everything has come together and a shaggy dough is formed.

Pat the dough out evenly into the griddle or skillet. (If using a skillet (or a cake pan), don’t work the dough up the sides—leave it just on the bottom). If using a baking sheet, pat out a 9-inch circle. Poke the dough with a fork about 4 or 5 times, and place the dough into the oven. Cook it uncovered for 5 minutes then remove from the oven.

Meanwhile, heat a large skillet to medium-low heat. Add the chorizo and while occasionally stirring, cook for 5 minutes or until it changes from a bright red to a more brownish red. Leaving on the skillet, remove the chorizo with a slotted spoon and place it in a bowl. (It’s okay if there is some chorizo grease in the skillet, as this adds flavor. If there is an excess of grease, however, feel free to drain and discard it.)

Add to the skillet the butter. Whisk together the eggs, half and half, salt, and pepper. When the butter has melted, pour in the eggs. Let them sit for 1 minute then add the chorizo back into the skillet and gently stir until they are loosely set. Taste the eggs with the chorizo and add a pinch of salt if you think it needs it, though I find that usually the chorizo adds enough flavor and salt isn’t necessary (I didn't add salt, since I had already added to the eggs).

Turn off the heat and then spoon the eggs out of the skillet and spread evenly onto the partially baked pizza crust.

Top the eggs evenly with the cheese, then top the cheese evenly with the onions and jalapeños. Return the pizza to the oven and cook uncovered for 8 to 10 more minutes or until the cheese is melted and the crust is lightly browned.

Remove the pizza from the oven and sprinkle fresh cilantro leaves over the baked pizza. If you like, serve each slice topped with pico de gallo, avocado slices, and/or crumbled Cotija cheese.

Nutritional Information (from My Fitness Pal)
Calories: 583; Total Fat: 42 g; Saturated Fat: 22 g; Monounsaturated Fat: 10 g; Polyunsaturated Fat: 3 g; Trans Fat: 0 g; Cholesterol: 296 mg; Sodium: 1752 mg; Potassium: 397 mg; Total Carbohydrate: 32 g; Dietary Fiber: 5 g; Sugars: 3 g; Protein: 21 g

No comments: