Monday, March 3, 2008

Black Bean and Chicken Chilaquiles

I had made this dish sometime in 2006 and my friend Hope reminded me about it a few weeks ago.

So I made this dish yesterday. I read the reviews and they were all over the place with a lot of them saying the dish was bland. Looking at the recipe, I realized it didn't have the usual staples of cumin, cilantro, salt or pepper. And seeing as I had to cook my chicken (I don't use rotisserie), I decided that's where I would add it.

Adobo Seasoning is a combo of pepper, Mexican oregano, cumin and some other things. You can get it at www.Penzeys.com

So I made the dish, which means it was easy. D and I each had 1.5 servings with no side. We both liked it. He said I could have chopped the chicken into smaller pieces but that was the only thing...

We used Sour Cream on top.

Black Bean and Chicken Chilaquiles


Photo by ALB

Ingredients

Cooking spray
1 cup thinly sliced onion
5 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast (I used 3 chicken thighs chopped, raw, boneless, skinless=2Cups)
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1 (7 3/4-ounce) can salsa de chile fresco (such as El Pato) (I used Herdez Salsa Casera)
15 (6-inch) corn tortillas, cut into 1-inch strips
1 cup shredded queso blanco (about 4 ounces) (I used Pepper Jack Cheese)
I added cilantro
I added Penzey's Adobo Seasoning

Preparation
Preheat oven to 450°.

Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion; sauté 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute. Add chicken; cook 30 seconds. (I added the chicken and some (maybe 1/2 tsp of Penzey's Adobo Seasoning) and 1/4 teaspoon salt.) Transfer mixture to a medium bowl; stir in beans. (Add cilantro) Add broth and salsa to pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes (add more cilantro), stirring occasionally. Set aside.

Place half of tortilla strips in bottom of an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Layer half of chicken mixture over tortillas; top with remaining tortillas and chicken mixture. Pour broth mixture evenly over chicken mixture. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 450° for 10 minutes or until tortillas are lightly browned and cheese is melted.

Yield: 6 servings

Nutritional Information
CALORIES 293 (15% from fat); FAT 4.9g (sat 1.7g,mono 1.5g,poly 1.2g); PROTEIN 22.9g; CHOLESTEROL 46mg; CALCIUM 200mg; SODIUM 602mg; FIBER 5.9g; IRON 2.3mg; CARBOHYDRATE 40g

Cooking Light, NOVEMBER 2006

No comments: