Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Thai Coconut Curry Shrimp

I made this. It was pretty easy. It was pretty good. Tame in spice, but I think it is because I used green curry paste because I couldn't find the red in our fridge (we have both). I did add curry seasoning, but obviously not enough. It was pretty creamy althouhg not a lot of sauce. I liked the fact that it was only 2 servings because D and I have problems with left over seafood.

We had with Broccoli and Basmati Rice.

Thai Coconut Curry Shrimp


Red curry paste conveys plenty of spicy heat, so a little goes a long way. Feel free to add a bit more to increase the heat, or omit the paste to tame the dish. The addition of slightly sweet coconut milk smooths out the flavors.
Total time: 19 minutes.


1 teaspoon canola oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/4 teaspoon red curry paste (such as Thai Kitchen)--I used 1/2 tsp green curry paste and some curry powder
1 teaspoon sugar
12 ounces large shrimp, peeled and deveined--I used 16 oz because what am I going to tdo with 4 oz of left over shrimp
1/3 cup light coconut milk--I used regular coconut milk. The light was $2.00 more.
2 teaspoons fish sauce
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil

1. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and curry paste to pan, and sauté 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Stir in sugar; sauté 15 seconds. Add shrimp; sauté 3 minutes or until shrimp are done, stirring frequently. Stir in coconut milk and fish sauce; cook 30 seconds or until thoroughly heated. Remove from heat; stir in green onions and basil.

Yield: 2 servings (serving size: 1 cup)
CALORIES 255 (26% from fat); FAT 7.4g (sat 2.6g,mono 1.8g,poly 1.9g); IRON 4.6mg; CHOLESTEROL 259mg; CALCIUM 111mg; CARBOHYDRATE 10.2g; SODIUM 740mg; PROTEIN 36.1g; FIBER 1.1g

Cooking Light, SEPTEMBER 2008

1 comment:

Daily Life said...

Rice is cooked by boiling, or it can be ground into a flour.  brown rice recipes