Friday, December 12, 2008

Tuna "London Broil" with Wasabi Cream

We have had this before and it is always good. Last night I decided to make it (D is sick). I made the sauce and the rub. I followed the directions. Then came the actual cooking. I like everything raw. So I decided to cook the tuna 1 minute on each side. I highly recommend NOT doing that. Or you have to put it back in the grill pan and recook.

But eventually I got it right, and I still recommend the recipe. I had it with Miso Fennel Soup.

Tuna "London Broil" with Wasabi Cream



Photo by ALB

From the Pacific Rim, here's a "London broil" with piquant Asian influences. A cool bite of wasabi dressing finishes the dish.

2 teaspoons sesame seeds, toasted
2 teaspoons wasabi powder (dried Japanese horseradish) -used wasabi paste
2 teaspoons cracked black pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 (6-ounce) tuna steaks (about 3/4 inch thick)
1 tablespoon wasabi powder (used wasabi paste)
1 tablespoon water (didn't use)
1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
1/4 cup fat-free sour cream (used rf sour cream)
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
Cooking spray
2 tablespoons sliced green onions


Combine first 5 ingredients; rub over tuna. Cover and chill 30 minutes. Combine wasabi and water. Let stand 5 minutes. Stir in mayonnaise, sour cream, juice, and soy sauce.
Prepare grill to high heat.
Place steaks on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 5 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness. Serve with wasabi cream; sprinkle with onions.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 steak, 2 tablespoons wasabi cream, and 1 1/2 teaspoons onions)

CALORIES 308 (30% from fat); FAT 10.3g (sat 2.4g,mono 3g,poly 3g); IRON 4.4mg; CHOLESTEROL 66mg; CALCIUM 47mg; CARBOHYDRATE 9.7g; SODIUM 500mg; PROTEIN 41.3g; FIBER 0.9g

Cooking Light, AUGUST 2003

3 Smart Points (my additions/subtractions at 4 servings)

3 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Elizabeth said...

The hubbie would love this!!

Unknown said...

I just wish we could get good tuna...