Sunday, September 2, 2012

Death by Oreo Cupcakes

I saw these in January by blogger Lisa.  I put them on my list to try.  I usually make Oreo Balls when I bake with Oreos but decided to try something different.  Yes, you should try these.  But invite me over first.

Death by Oreo Cupcakes

Photo by ALB

by Lisa

CUPCAKES: Enough of you asked for more info on the death by Oreo cupcakes that I mentioned, so I am passing on the recipe. Be warned, they are addicting!! Recipe make 24 cupcakes. What you'll need:

1 pkg regular oreos
cupcake liners

1 pkg chocolate cake mix (and the ingredients that go on the back of the box)

For Frosting: Do not use this full recipe. Either make it all, use half and save the rest for later, or make half a recipe. Trust me on this.  (AL's Note: Used the whole recipe, because I like frosting)
8 oz cream cheese - room temp
8 T butter (1 stick) - room temp
3 3/4 cups powdered sugar
1 t vanilla
2-3 T milk

Add cupcake liners to cupcake pan. Place an Oreo at the bottom of each liner.

Coarsely crush half remaining oreos (I break them up by hand). Prepare cake mix per instructions. Add Oreo pieces to mix. Fill cupcake liners with mix.

Note: I cook for 15 min at 350 deg even though the boxed mix instructions say to cook longer. Not sure if that is a high altitude thing or because of that added cookies to the mix. In any event, I suggest checking after 15 mins. (AL's Note: Baked them according to the back of the box).

Finely crush remaining Oreos (or, if you make half a recipe of frosting, eat 3 cookies and finely crush the rest. just kidding. sort of.). I do this in a food processor.

For frosting, mix cream cheese and butter with vanilla until smooth. Add powdered sugar. Add milk as needed to get desired consistency. blend in crushed oreos.

Frost cupcakes when cool. Enjoy!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm glad you enjoyed these. I know you made a full recipe, but did you really USE the full recipe of frosting (doesn't look like it in the photos).

:-)