Monday, March 4, 2013

Beer-Cheddar Soup

Would you believe I made this and it was good? It was.

For a person who loves beer and love cheese, I am not a tremendous fan of beer cheese soup. Sure I order it everywhere I go, but that is because I just know I'm supposed to like it. I know of one place in Atlanta that I do like it, but usually I find it bitter.

So I found this recipe the other day when looking for a soup recipe. The note, "Avoid using dark beer, which could make the soup too bitter," grabbed my attention. I decided right away I must have it. Give it a few days. I went to the store, got the ingredients and voila. I actually did use a dark beer. I decided they meant don't use a stout/porter. I was going to use a Bud Light, but I grabbed a Guinness Black Lager (not your traditional Guinness) from the basement and didn't feel like going back downstairs. Update: Have used a can of Guinness. It's still tastes good.

Everything was very easy...just time consuming. Still I would have again. D thought so too. We both liked it the 2nd day.

We each had 2.25 servings.

Beer-Cheddar Soup


Photo by ALB

Avoid using dark beer, which could make the soup too bitter. Toast the bread cubes a day ahead, cool, and store at room temperature. Serve the soup in a tureen with the toasted bread cubes and chives on the side, and let guests help themselves.

Yield: 12 servings (serving size: about 2/3 cup soup, about 1 ounce bread cubes, and 1 teaspoon chives)

Ingredients
10 ounce sourdough bread, cut into 1-inch cubes (used Pepperidge Farm)
Cooking spray
2 cups chopped onion (about 2 medium)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 (12-ounce) bottle beer (used Guinness Black Lager, have used Guinness Stout (whole can))
4 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth, divided
1/2 cup all-purpose flour (about 2 1/4 ounces)
2 cups 2% reduced-fat milk, divided
1 1/4 cups (5 ounces) shredded extrasharp cheddar cheese
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh chives (used green onions)

Preparation
Preheat oven to 450°.

Arrange bread cubes in a single layer on a jelly-roll pan; coat bread cubes with cooking spray. Bake at 450° for 10 minutes or until toasted. Set aside.

Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion; sauté 4 minutes. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute. Stir in beer; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 20 minutes or until onion is very tender.

Place beer mixture and 1 cup broth in a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure blender lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid splatters). Blend until smooth. Return pureed mixture to pan. Stir in remaining 3 cups broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes.

(I added milk to cup and then added flour to prevent lumps)Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour and 1 cup milk, stirring with a whisk until smooth. Add flour mixture and remaining 1 cup milk to pan; cook 12 minutes or until slightly thickened. Remove pan from heat. Gradually add cheese, stirring until smooth. Stir in pepper. Serve with bread cubes and chives.

Nutritional Information
Calories: 172; Calories from fat: 28%; Fat: 5.4g; Saturated fat: 3.2g; Monounsaturated fat: 0.6g; Polyunsaturated fat: 0.2g; Protein: 8.1g; Carbohydrate: 22.9g; Fiber: 1.6g; Cholesterol: 16mg; Iron: 1.1mg; Sodium: 371mg; Calcium: 165mg

Cooking Light NOVEMBER 2007

5 Smart Points (my additions/subtractions at 8 1-Cup servings)

No comments: