Sunday, January 12, 2014

Cauliflower Tots

So way back when (like 2000 ish), I started seeing recipes for "mock" foods.  Like guacamole made with peas, and mashed potatoes made with cauliflower.  Nothing ever seemed appetizing, mostly because I didn't see the point of disguising food.  You either like something or you don't.  It's like when you see that I've omitted olives from a recipe.  No amount of cheese or spices is going to cover up the horrid taste of olives.

So back to the post.  I've been noticing more and more cauliflower disguising.  Now, I'm not sure the point.  I love cauliflower.  I like it raw, boiled, microwaved, roasted, etc.  When I hear people tell me how great their mashed cauliflower potatoes are, they seem to add, "Especially after you add a cup of butter to them."

So I'm not really sure why I decided we should try a disguise food.  But I did, D said ok, and he made Cauliflower Tots.  We had with burgers.

We eat regular tots probably once a month.  So it isn't like I've gone years without these. It's probably been 2-3 weeks.  He made them.  I know they were a pain in the ass to make, since he left a lot of the mix off the baking sheet.

The taste...they tasted like cauliflower pellets.  I felt cheated.  I don't get this fad.  I felt we totally wasted a head of cauliflower.  For what it was, it was like we should have cooked some cauliflower and thrown some ketchup on it.

I think we'll wait another 13 years to have another Disguise Food.

Cauliflower Tots

Photo by ALB

Skinnytaste.com
Servings: 4
Serving Size: 8 tots

Ingredients
2 cups cooked cauliflower florets, finely chopped *see note
1 large egg
1 large egg white
1/2 cup onion, minced
3 tbsp minced fresh parsley
1/2 cup reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese, grated
1/2 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
salt and pepper to taste
cooking spray

Directions

Note: to cook the cauliflower florets, steam a little over 2 cups raw cauliflower florets in a little water covered for for 4 to 5 minutes or until tender but not mushy, then drain well and dry on paper towel, then using a knife finely chop and set 2 cups aside.

Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray a nonstick cookie sheet with cooking spray.

In a medium bowl, combine all of the ingredients and season with salt and pepper to taste.

Spoon 1 tablespoon of mixture in your hands and roll into small ovals. Place on the cookie sheet and bake for 16-18 minutes, turning halfway through cooking until golden.

Makes about 32 - 34 tots

Nutritional Information
Calories: 148; Fat: 5 g; Protein: 10 g; Carb: 16 g; Fiber: 3 g; Sugar: 2 g; Sodium: 397 mg (without salt); Cholesterol: 47 mg

No comments: