Sunday, August 24, 2014

Jalapeño Cheddar Rolls

So I pinned this recipe when I first got on pinterest, of course thinking, "Who in their right mind would make Hamburger Rolls?"  Then in the spring, I started growing jalapenos and started thinking it wasn't a bad idea.

So I showed D, and he said, "You're making them, right?"  Of course.  So I did.  They took awhile (mostly waiting time), but were pretty easy to make.  Of course I had no idea how sticky the dough was supposed to be and was sure I messed up, but I kept going.

They were a little flat, but I think I punched them too low.   They were roll-like in consistency, easy to slice, and held up to a chicken burger with salsa and guacamole.  I would make again.

We had with Green Chili Chicken Burgers.

Photo by ALB

Jalapeño Cheddar Rolls

Adapted from Tracey's Culinary Adventures

Ingredients
1 3/4 teaspoons instant yeast (I used a packet of Fleischman's yeast...didn't measure)
3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
6 oz sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
3 large jalapeños (seeds and ribs removed), finely chopped (I used 2 because they were homegrown and spicier than the grocery stores)
1 cup hot water (100-110 F) (I boiled it and then let it sit for a few minutes)
2 tablespoons canola oil
2 large eggs, at room temperature (Divided)

Add the yeast, flour, sugar, salt, cheese and jalapenos to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook. Beat briefly on low speed to combine.

Dry ingredients mixed

In a measuring cup, whisk the water, oil and 1 of the eggs together until combined (I didn't see the 1 and used both eggs...make sure to tempure the eggs and water if you didn't take the temperature of the water, as to not cook the eggs). With the mixer on low, slowly add the wet ingredients and continue mixing until the dough comes together (you may need to scrape down the bowl once or twice). The dough should clear the sides of the bowl and cling to the bottom – you may need to add a little flour or water to achieve the right consistency (every time I’ve made this recipe I’ve needed to add 2-4 tablespoons of flour). Knead the dough on low speed for about 5 minutes, or until smooth and elastic.

Spray a large bowl with nonstick cooking spray. Shape the dough into a ball and place in the bowl.

Dough prior to rising

Cover with plastic wrap and let the dough rise for 75-90 minutes, or until doubled in size.

Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

Transfer the dough to your work surface and divide in half. Divide each of the two pieces into 4 or 5 equal pieces, depending on whether you want oversized or more traditional rolls. Shape each piece of dough into a ball and place on the prepared baking sheet, then flatten slightly with the palm of your hand. Space the rolls about 1/2 to 1-inch apart – you want the edges to bake together in the oven.

Cover the pan with a damp towel, and allow the rolls to rise for 35 minutes. Meanwhile, whisk the remaining egg with 1 tablespoon of water to make egg wash. Brush the rolls with the egg wash.

About to go in the oven

Bake for about 25 minutes, or until the tops of the rolls are deep golden brown.

Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let the rolls cool for at least 15 minutes.


Store in a resealable plastic bag at room temperature, or wrap tightly and freeze.

Makes 8-10 rolls

3 comments:

Jenn said...

The second egg made them heavy, impacting the rise, that's why they weren't as high. Also, your water might have been too hot and killed some of the yeast. Warm tap water is good, after you see what 110* is you realize it's easy to get from the tap. Weird that the yeast is compatible with a pack (2 1/4 tsp) but shouldn't matter anyways. I love making bread, might have to add these as they sound awesome.

Jenn said...

Isn't compatible

Al's CL Reviews said...

The pic of the dough not risen is prior to 90 minutes. It was to the top of the bowl after 90 min.

I think the rolls were flat because I smushed them down. I will use 1 egg the next time though.