Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Chicken with Italian Sweet-Sour Fennel

This recipe intrigued me, because I am only familiar with dried fennel.  I really never thought about it past that.  I've seen this recipe a few times but I don't like raisins, so I skipped it.  Yet, somehow last week I came back to it.

D looked at it, and we decided to have it this week.  I was upstairs while he was making it (and unaware of what he was making at the time).  I kept thinking we were having sausage. So I was a little bummed when I came downstairs to find Chicken and Onions.  However, onions it was not.  It was the flavor from Italian Sausage.  It was very good.

D made it with rice to soak up the sauce, and we had with Roasted Cauliflower with Brown Butter.

Chicken with Italian Sweet-Sour Fennel

Photo by ALB

Experiment with fennel—a great source of vitamins and minerals—for a fun new flavor that pairs well with chicken.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 cutlet and 1/3 cup fennel mixture)
Total:15 Minutes

Ingredients
1 small fennel bulb with stalks
2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
4 (4-ounce) chicken cutlets
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup dry white wine
3/4 cup fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
1/4 cup raisins (didn't use)
2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon pine nuts, toasted

Preparation
1. Mince 1 tablespoon fennel fronds. Thinly slice bulb to measure 2 cups (discard core).

2. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken with 1/4 teaspoon salt, rosemary, and pepper. Add chicken to pan; cook 3 minutes on each side or until done. Remove from pan. Add fennel bulb to pan; sauté 1 minute. Stir in wine. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt, broth, raisins, and vinegar; cover and cook 4 minutes or until fennel is tender. Return chicken to pan. Sprinkle with nuts and fennel fronds.

Nutritional Information
Calories: 209; Fat: 5.3g; Saturated fat: 0.8g; Monounsaturated fat: 2.4g; Polyunsaturated fat: 1.3g; Protein: 28g; Carbohydrate: 12.3g; Fiber: 2.5g; Cholesterol: 66mg; Iron: 1.8mg; Sodium: 419mg; Calcium: 53mg

Cooking Light MARCH 2011

No comments: