Sunday, November 30, 2014

Crockpot Mashed Potatoes

So I think my friend NCBeaches told me about this recipe. If she didn't, I will give her credit for telling me about the Slow Roasted Italian.

Anyway, back to the potatoes. I have made mashed potatoes in the crockpot for holidays before and honestly it works so well. You have no one in the Meat Preparer's way because potatoes seem to have to be made at the last minute so they aren't cold. I was going to make these (because honestly I don't remember how I made the potatoes I made previously and it was before I started this blog), but I have a leg injury at the moment so D made them.

We halved the recipe, and there was still leftovers after 4 adults ate. They had a good garlic taste (I assume D added more), and more importantly, they were HOT!

When asking D about the ease, he said they were quite possibly the easiest mashed potatoes he ever made. He said if you wanted to get fancy to either change the cream cheese to flavored cream cheese or something like Camembert or Brie.

We'll have again.

Crockpot Mashed Potatoes

Mashed Potatoes in foreground- Photo by ALB

Recipe by The Slow Roasted Italian
SERVES 12 | ACTIVE TIME 20 Min | TOTAL TIME 3 Hours 20 Minutes

Ingredients
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, softened (used salted)
5 pounds red potatoes, washed and cut into 1/2" pieces
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup milk
8 ounces cream cheese (used light)
1/2 cup sour cream (used light)
1 teaspoon finely minced garlic (3-4 cloves)
1-2 teaspoons kosher salt (to taste)
1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper

Preparation
Butter inside of crock with butter and leave remaining butter on the bottom of the dish. Add potatoes and cover. Cook on high 3 hours or 5-6 hours on low.

Remove cover, once potatoes are fork tender (meaning they break apart when you put a fork into a potato), add milk and cream. Mash with potato masher until desired consistency is reached. Add remaining ingredients and stir to combine.

Serve and enjoy!

No comments: