Monday, November 28, 2011

Spicy Guinness Mustard

So although I love Guinness, I really don't like Guinness Extra Stout. It always tastes flat. And yet, most people will buy me that when I visit because they assume that I don't want to drink beer out of a can. So I acquired some Extra Stout and ran around this recipe from Saveur at the same time.

It was terribly easy to make. And it has a good kick/bite to it.
But it makes a ton. So much, that I actually threw some away. Because 2 Cups of Mustard is going to last me forever!.

Spicy Guinness Mustard

Photo by ALB

Ingredients
1 12-oz. bottle Guinness Extra Stout
1 1⁄2 cups brown mustard seeds (10 oz.)
1 cup red wine vinegar
1 tbsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1⁄4 tsp. ground cinnamon (I didn't have any, so I used apple pie spice)
1⁄4 tsp. ground cloves
1⁄4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1⁄4 tsp. ground allspice

Instructions
1. Combine ingredients in a nonreactive mixing bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit at room temperature for 1–2 days so that the mustard seeds soften and the flavors meld.

2. Transfer the mixture to the bowl of a food processor and process, stopping occasionally to scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula, until the seeds are coarsely ground and the mixture thickens, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a jar and cover.

3. Refrigerate overnight and use immediately or refrigerate for up to 6 months. (The flavor of the mustard will mellow as the condiment ages.)

MAKES 3 1⁄2 CUPS

No comments: