Monday, November 25, 2013

Monterey Chicken

My brother made this awhile ago and told me it was really good. So D and I decided to try it. We went back and forth on the diced tomatoes and green chilies. I said we should use Rotel, and D said we should try it as is and go from there. Being that I'm always the one to say to try as is and go from there, I couldn't argue with him for using my words.

So D made it. He said it was pretty easy. We used bacon instead of bits because I don't care for bacon bits.

We both liked it except we thought the diced tomatoes were odd. I again mentioned Rotel. D mentioned adding fresh tomatoes at the end, which I think would be good too. So now we have to have it again to try out the fresh tomatoes.

Would definitely have again.  We had with roasted green beans.

Monterey Chicken

Photo by ALB

adapted from My Baker Lady

Ingredients
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/4 cup bar-b-que sauce
1/4 cup real bacon bits (used 2 slices of bacon, chopped)
1 cup cheddar/monterey jack cheese, shredded (used Mexi-blend Cheese)
1 14 oz. can diced tomatoes, drained  (Next time use Roma tomatoes)
1 5 oz can fire roasted green chiles (next time don't really need...or a fresh diced jalapeno)
sliced green onions
salt  and pepper

Preparation
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Pound out chicken breasts to flatten. I cut mine in half lengthwise first, giving me 8 pieces. But they were HUGE breasts. Season with salt and pepper.

2. Over medium high heat (using either a non-stick skillet or a Foreman-type grill) grill chicken until no long pink (be careful not to overcook it) and place on baking sheet covered with foil.

3. Combine tomatoes and chiles in a bowl. Top each chicken breast with one tablespoon barbeque sauce, 1/8 c. cheese, 1/8 c. tomatoes/chilies (skip), green onions and one tablespoon of bacon bits. Place in oven and bake until cheese is melted (about 5 minutes). (Take out and add tomatoes)

No comments: