Sunday, July 5, 2015

Spicy Egg Muffins

So all this week, every time I eat breakfast, I crave bacon or sausage.  I figured I needed more protein.  I found a recipe for Egg Muffins and decided to make them.

They were a little intense of making, since I'm not good at cutting stuff.  But I made it fine.   I amended a recipe based on the ingredients we had and the fact I only have 12 muffin tins.

We ate around 8:30 and I was fine until past noon.  Of course, despite getting this from a paleo website, I added an English Muffin to it.  And milk (is that paleo?)  And cheese and avocado (again, paleo?)

Spicy Egg Muffins

Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 25 mins
Total time: 40 mins
Adapted from Our Paleo Life 

Photo by ALB

Ingredients
12 large Eggs
1/4 C 1% Milk
13 oz (5 links) Chorizo
1/2 Yellow Onion, chopped
1/2 medium Bell Peppers, diced
1 Jalapeno, seeded and diced
Sea Salt, to taste
Fresh Ground Black Pepper, to taste
Cooking Spray

Instructions 
Preheat oven to 350F.

Place 12 silicone muffin liners on a rimmed baking sheet (or split up onto 2 baking sheets). If not using silicone muffins liners (and it is highly that you do), grease 1 12-cup muffin tins with Cooking Spray.

Cook the chorizo in a skillet until completely cooked through, breaking up into small pieces with a wooden spoon. With a slotted spoon, place chorizo in a bowl. Wipe out the pan. Then add the onion and peppers into the pan, and cook on medium heat for 5 minutes, until softened. Add to the bowl with chorizo and mix.

Add approximately 1 tablesspoon of the mixture to the bottom of the muffin cups. If you have leftovers, divide them evenly in the cups.

Beat all the eggs and milk in a large bowl and add salt and pepper. Whisk until smooth, making sure to get all the yolks incorporated. Scoop 1/4 C (I used a gravy ladle, so it's a guess that it was 1/4C) of the whisked egg into each muffin cup. If there are any leftover eggs, divide evenly.

Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the egg comes out clean. Serve hot. If storing these, refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 1 week, or store in the freezer for up to one month.

Photo by ALB

Nutritional Information (from My Fitness Pal)
12 Servings
Calories: 217; Total Fat: 17 g; Saturated Fat: 6 g; Monounsaturated Fat: 7 g; Polyunsaturated Fat: 2 g; Trans Fat: 0 g; Cholesterol: 213 mg; Sodium: 650 mg; Potassium: 215 mg; Total Carbohydrate: 2 g; Dietary Fiber: 0 g; Sugars: 1 g; Protein: 14 g

No comments: