Monday, December 10, 2012

Mario Batali's Ragu Bolognese

So we sort of made the wrong recipe.  A few weeks ago, I decided to look up to see if Mario had a Bolognese Recipe.  I'm not sure why, because I really like Anne Burrell's, but I did.  The one I looked up had both carrot and pancetta.  I didn't save it anywhere.

Finally D and I decided to have it, so I looked it up on Food Network and there was no carrot.  I'm not really sure why that would matter, but it did.  So then I looked it up on epicurous, and it had pancetta. And then it didn't. And then it did. And then it didn't.  So rather than sit down and really read the recipes, I determined I am nuts and that the following recipe must be the one I originally looked at.

D made it, and it was very good. It was on the non-salty side, but still good flavors.  The next day I looked up the recipe to see if there was any nutritional information.  That's when I noticed the recipe called for pancetta and no ground beef. I was positive D put ground beef in it, so I rechecked.  There were 2 recipes on epicurious for Mario Batali's Bolognese and we made the wrong one.

It was a good mistake to make, but now we have to go back and make the one with pancetta.  Oh! The agony.  LOL!
 
Mario Batali's Ragu Bolognese

Photo by ALB

Servings: 4 people (we used 1 Cup as a portion size...so far have had 4 cups with at least 2 more)
From epicurious.com

Ingredients
2T. olive oil
2 T. unsalted butter
1 medium onion, very finely chopped
4 stalks celery, very finely chopped
4 carrots, very finely chopped
5 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped (used 10)
3/4 pound ground veal
3/4 pound ground pork
3/4 pound ground beef
1 6-ounce can tomato paste
1 cup whole milk
1 cup dry white wine (used Pinot Grigio)
Salt
1 pound spinach tagliatelli, cooked and drained (used spaghetti)
Parmigianno regianno

Preparation
Heat the oil and butter in a 6-8 qt heavy bottomed pot,set over medium heat, until hot. Add the onions, celery, carrots, garliccook until the vegetables are translucent but not browned, 5-10 minutes. Add the meats. Increase the heat to high, and brown the meat stirring frequently for 25 min. Reduce the heat to medium and continue to cook and stir for another 20 min. Stir in the tomato paste, and cook for another 30 min. Add the milk and cook for one hour. Add the wine, increase the heat to medium high, and bring to a boil. Cook until the wine has evaporated and the alcohol has cooked off about 5 min. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, adding a splash of water if necessary to keep the sauce from drying out.

Season the ragu with salt. Remove it from the heat and let it cool. To serve with pasta add 2 cups of the raguto the tagliatelli and toss vriefly over high heat. Makes 4 servings. The rest of the sauce can be frozen up to 2 month.

No comments: